Diversity Statement from the West Tisbury Board of Selectmen
The Board of Selectmen of the Town of West Tisbury recognizes and values diversity as a vital characteristic of the town. Yet, this moment calls on us to state unequivocally that we stand in solidarity with Black, Brown, Indigenous, and all People of Color against racial injustice and for racial equity.
The Board of Selectmen celebrates the diversity of the community it serves and the individuals it employs, embracing the differences in race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, gender, age, economic status, disability, gender identity and sexual orientation.
The Board of Selectmen believes it has a responsibility to capitalize on the strength emanating from these differences and has a duty to ensure its employees, citizens, business associates and the members of the general public are treated with dignity and respect in all of their duties and dealings with the Town of West Tisbury.
The Board of Selectmen believes a workplace that attracts and retains diverse personnel will allow it to serve its citizenry more creatively, strategically, and productively. A successful inclusion and diversity program will ensure these objectives, goals, and priorities are maintained.
We take our commitment to inclusivity seriously by:
- Committing to Equal Opportunity Employment;
- Practicing a Community Policing Model;
- Providing Translation on our website;
Still, we can do more. We can be better. There can be no complacency. No “good enough.” To that end, we pledge:
- To listen carefully and engage in conversations about race and white privilege by acknowledging the systematic racism in our culture.
- To create a Task Force Against Discrimination**, who can respond to issues and concerns from the community.
- To increase our broader understanding by requiring cultural competency, trauma and anti-racism and anti-bias training for all staff members.
- To further develop and promote equitable hiring policies and leadership cultivation at all levels of our organization.
- This is our commitment and our pledge. To listen, to engage and to be mindful in creating and maintaining a level of service that respects every person.
**The Task Force Against Discrimination consists of members which may include a member of the clergy, a law enforcement officer, an attorney or educator, and concerned citizens appointed yearly by the Board of Selectmen. The goal is to maintain a community where all individuals are welcome regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation or ethnic background. The Task Force meets throughout the year in open sessions to discuss concerns raised by the residents of the Town and to create ongoing programs that will celebrate diversity within the Town.